Business nameSonja Porter
ABN62 058 544 894
Sonja Porter is a freelance editor based in Perth. She is an editing, writing and research professional with experience in the career education and development, and education sectors. She has worked on state and federal publications, and university and Vocational Education and Training (VET) course materials and documentation.
She has experience editing corporate communications documents, tenders and reports, brochures and blogs, non-fiction and fiction works, post-graduate student projects, and also taught writing, editing and publishing at Curtin University.
She worked for several years as an IELTS English teacher and has experience writing and editing English as a Second Language (ESL) course materials, and working with students and adults for whom English is a second language.
QualificationsBachelor of Arts (Writing), 2011
ExperienceSonja has several years’ experience working at a research and policy development consulting agency editing government projects, tenders and business documents. In her capacity as the senior editor she performs the following editing tasks:
- checking structure, language use, clarity and style
- proofreading for compliance with style, layout, font specifications, punctuation and spelling
- editing content according to house style and formatting requirements
- ensuring that content meets publication standards
- editing/proofreading project team members’ work prior to submission
- setting and meeting strict deadlines
- research and content writing
- implementing changes and interventions to achieve project outcomes to accommodate client directives.
She coordinated the development of an in-house style for use on a WA State Government project. She also edits and proofreads website content, and other business communications.
Sonja has experience as an editor/content writer working on vocational education and training (VET) course materials for a registered training organisation in Perth. In this role she:
- edited VET course content for clear writing, flow of complex concepts, adherence to style, and language level suited the target audience
- researched and wrote course material as required and ensured it met national training package standards
- ensured that course materials and assessments met mapping criteria as designated by the national training package unit of competency standards
- maintained the electronic filing system and version control of instructional course content materials
- beta tested courseware in software platforms such as Articulate Storyline and Moodle/Blackboard.
She implemented an editing system incorporating structural editing, copyediting and proofreading of all documents prior to publication.
She also developed a departmental version control filing system and central data storage system on a network server to ensure accurate and accessible storage for all data and digital files.
Other editing/writing skills include:
Sessional Academic Tutor (Professional Writing, Editing & Publishing) - Curtin University (2013)
- For this course she edited and revised core teaching materials to reflect industry changes and wrote technical training instructions on how to use the InDesign software program.
ESL Teacher (2005-2008) (2014-2015)
- Edited Academic English certificate courses to ensure they met ELICOS standards
- Developed and edited teaching materials for Academic IELTS, which focuses on reading, writing, listening and speaking
- Developed and edited teaching materials for Conversational English classes
Volunteer Newsletter Editor for Perth Centre for Photography (2012)
- Planned content for upcoming issues, wrote promotional copy, and edited reviews and other newsletter content
Sonja is available for freelance work.
Please email her for enquiries.